Ahhhh. The new year! With fantastic snow conditions (129% of normal) and the holiday crowds long gone, January is the perfect time to make a trip to come ski in Lake Tahoe. For the first time in 4 years, Heavenly Mountain is 100% open with great coverage not only on the groomed runs, but in the trees and on the steeper terrain like Mott and Killebrew Canyons. The El Nino weather pattern that should bring even more snow to our area is predicted to come in strong beginning this month and to continue through the rest of the winter and into spring.
Beyond the slopes, there are some great events and concerts happening this month also. Check out a few of our favorites below:
Tahoe South Restaurant Week – This great annual event takes place January 8-15 and features some of the many excellent area eateries. Participating restaurants will have special menus and pricing to showcase their delicious fare. This is a great way to sample some of the finer restaurants in town without breaking the bank. Jimmy’s at The Landing, Edgewood Tahoe, Friday’s Station and Naked Fish Sushi are just a few of the restaurants we plan to dine at during restaurant week.
National Winter Trails Day – Several local organizations are offering guided snowshoe treks on January 9, 2016. Explore Tahoe in conjunction with the City of South Lake Tahoe has one at Van Sickle Park and The Sugar Pine Foundation with the Tahoe Rim Trail Association offers one at Echo Lake. Both are free but require advance registration. Tahoe Rim Trail Events
- The Mike Dillon Band – Thursday January 14 9:00 PM The Divided Sky Mike Dillon Band Info
- Morris Day and The Time – Saturday January 16 9:00 PM Montbleu Casino Morris Day Info
- The Electric Jimmy’s – Friday January 22 9:00 PM Hard Rock Casino Electric Jimmy’s Info
- ScratchDog String Band – Saturday January 23 9:00 PM The Divided Sky ScratchDog String Band Info
- The Devil Makes Three – Wednesday January 27 8:30 PM Montbleu Casino Devil Makes Three Info
- STS9 – Thursday January 28 8:00 PM Harrah’s Casino STS9 Info
- Mojo Green – Thursday January 28 9:00 PM Hard Rock Casino Mojo Green Info
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd – Saturday January 30 8:00 PM Montbleu Casino Kenny Wayne Shepherd Info
- G. Love & Special Sauce – Saturday January 30 7:00 PM Harrah’s Casino G. G. Love Info
We hope to see you in South Tahoe soon. It’s going to be a great month up here!